Monday, May 24, 2010

Weekend Fun...


This was our first "normal" weekend since Nathan was born and it was great!! You would think that since I'm home every day now, the weekends wouldn't seem that different from any other day. But, I just LOVE the weekends! They just have a different feel... Gary is home and the pace just seems to slow down - we don't follow our "normal" weekday routine (which has become quite the routine by the way... I am such a routine oriented person and have instilled that in my two year old and 3 week old already). However, even being such a "routine" family, we are also very flexible and can change things up easily for weekends!

Saturday mornings are my favorite. We wake up whenever we get up (let's face it though, with a newborn and 2 year old "sleeping in" on Saturday means getting up at 7 a.m. rather than 5:45 or 6) and we all head down to the couch to enjoy coffee, cartoons, snuggles, silly little boy giggles, and the planning of our day. We are slow to get around and get ready and I normally cook a bigger than usual breakfast with chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. I love the Saturday relaxed, no hurry morning feel.

This Saturday, after our lazy morning, we headed to the park for a picnic! We had a great time - Alex played, Nathan slept, and Gary and I had time to just talk and enjoy our family. We got back just in time for naps all around - Alex is still taking close to a 3 hr nap every day... 1-4 is nap time around here - I think we lucked out! Even if he doesn't fall right to sleep, he is almost always in bed until 4. So after nursing and straightening up a bit, we all enjoyed afternoon naps :)

Since we forgot to exchange our movie for a new one while we were out in the morning, we decided to go out for Panera (my personal favorite!!) and pick up a new movie and firewood. After a nice family dinner out, we went home and had our first campfire of the season! I just love sitting around the fire in the evening when it's not too hot and not too cold roasting smores. Alex LOVED his smore! That's another great thing about the weekends - not having to worry so much about when we all go to sleep - our normal bed time is 8 for Alex, and 10 for the rest of us - and we are pretty rigid about it. On the weekends though, we can be much more flexible about things and still not get too sleepy since we have plenty of time to relax and nap!


Sunday was our first week where we all went to church since Nathan was born (Gary has been taking Alex the past couple of weeks while Nathan and I stayed home to rest). It was so nice to go though - I had really missed being at church on Sundays! After church, our afternoon consisted of Gary (and Alex) mowing the lawn while I cleaned up and got lunch ready, then nap time for Alex and an afternoon movie (GI Joe - not my favorite, Gary's pick) for Gary and I.

Sunday evening was enjoyed out back - Gary put up the new kiddie pool and we all played out back till dinner. Then we grilled burgers, ate on the deck, relaxed, and then came in to get Alex around for bed and relax before the beginning of a new week!

Anyway, all that to say - I just really enjoy the weekends - when the whole family is home enjoying time together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment