Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend!

This was a crazy weekend at the Friske house! I came down sick with mastitis on Thursday evening and it was AWFUL! I can't remember when I've been so sick! Even though it's an infection from breastfeeding, it's MUCH more than that... fever, chills, headache, nausea, lightheadedness - basically feels like a bad case of the flu. Gary offered to stay home Friday, but being at a new job I really didn't want him to use up his sick days/vacation and I figured it'd be fine. We pretty much sat on the couch ALL day... Alex was a trooper, watching movies and shows and being pretty good all considering. He was cute about it too because he'd tell me I needed to rest and sleep and he'd ask if I needed to "hold him" or if I needed daddy to hold me. I ended up getting an antibiotic and was on the mend by Saturday morning.

Gary's parents and brother/sister-in-law were in town visiting this weekend! We enjoyed lots of good family time - brunch, movies, grilling, conversation, board games, playing with the kids, church, food, and packing! Yes, packing! They were kind enough to help me pack up my classroom on Saturday morning (but I'll get to that). But first, a couple of pics from the weekend:



So a couple of weeks ago I found out my new placement for next year is kindergarten at a new building (Norwood View). I'm not super excited about being back in kindergarten... I've really enjoyed first grade and teaching reading. Kindergarten is just so different! The kids are such babies and so needy - no independence at all! At least I have experience in K though, so it's not something totally new. I also will have to work with a new team of teachers though - in five years of teaching this will be my FOURTH team of teachers to work with! I was also told I'd need to pack my room up since I'll be moving to View - my THIRD building in five years! It really kind of stinks being the low one on the todem pole! I was given June 2nd as a date to be packed up by - and school didn't let out until May 29th - so that gave me 5 days to pack up (3 of them over the weekend). Seeing as there is no way I could do all that work with a 2 year old and 1 month old in tow, it meant I'd have to get it done with Gary's help over the weekend! So Gary's family got dragged in as well - they were super helpful though and it really went pretty quick with so many hands. It is AMAZING though how much stuff I've accumulated over the past four years... here's the final count:

*36 boxes provided by the school (we filled every provided box!)
*2 small bookshelves (since I'm only moving the ones fully intact :) )
*6 personal boxes
*4 crates full
*6 large plastic tubs
*1 box fan
*1 pocket chart stand
*1 rug
*2 chart paper boxes

I'd say that is A LOT of stuff! It seriously stresses me out to think of UNPACKING it all later this summer - uggh!

So we didn't really get a chance to do any "Memorial Day" festivities on Monday since we were busy finishing up the packing - no parades, parks, or grill outs for us this year. But that's ok, we had a great weekend with family and got a lot done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment