Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just for Fun: 10 Things About Alex

1. I say at least a couple of times a day that I just can't believe how big he is getting! He is SUCH a little boy now! He's getting taller and has a much more mature look... I check out pictures from even just a few months ago and can't believe the difference!

2. He continues to be so affectionate and sweet. He comes up to me many times a day just to give me kisses or hugs. He will take his hands and put them sweetly on my cheeks and give me a kiss! He also loves to snuggle and be held. He'll sit in my lap for stories and snuggle with me during our morning and after nap shows. I think he'll make some lucky girl very happy someday with his love for snuggling and sweet affection!

3. He LOVES his daddy and wants to be just like him! He says "I want to be big and strong like my daddy!" "I drink my milk to be like daddy!" He also tells me frequently that he'll ask his daddy to fix his toys or ask him to do things that mommy doesn't know how to do/fix. He tells me he wants his daddy and asks when daddy will be home.

4. He can be shy. He reminds me of Gary and myself... he is on the quieter/more timid side but also can be very confident when it comes to things that he decides HE wants to do or likes. He likes to go out and do things and gets excited about playing with other kids and making "new friends"... but when not comfortable, he can be quiet and timid. However, once he gets comfortable somewhere and opens up, he is quick to make new friends! He's sensitive when other kids become bullies, but doesn't just let them take his toys away either.

5. He amazes me with his memory and vocabulary. He talks in sentences and carries conversations. (The other night at dinner Gary and I were talking a while and Alex kept trying to get our attention, then he said in frustration, "I want to talk to.") He knows SO MANY words... and I don't know where he learns some of them or comes up with things! And I feel like I can tell him something once and then he'll repeat it back to me a couple of days later when something similar happens.

6. He is a great big brother! He continues to love Nathan so much... he will pat him and say so sweetly "baby brother" or "Nay Nay" or "baby boy". He gets this real high pitched voice when he talks to him and Nathan will give him the biggest smiles and giggles! He brings him toys, tickles him, plays with him in the play gym, and has on occasion even tattled on him! HAHA he'll be in for it when Nathan can move around... he's told on him for "pushing him" and for taking his toys already! When he notices Nathan isn't in the room, he'll ask where he is. He'll also "check on him" for me frequently. I'm feeling much more comfortable with leaving the two of them alone while I leave the room for a minute. He also likes sharing his room with Nathan... before they were together in a room, he'd often talk to himself and play in his bed (fairly noisily) for a while if he wasn't quite ready to sleep yet. Now, he may stay awake a while on some nights, but is SO QUIET (which still amazes me). He doesn't talk or cry or anything. He'll tell me that he needs to be quiet so he doesn't wake up NayNay.

7. He's not an eater. He often just eats a few bites, but sometimes will surprise us and eat a ton. He loves honeycomb cereal for breakfast (often his best meal of the day - he can eat a couple of bowls on some days!), mostly eats PB&J for lunch, enjoys grapes, peas, cooked carrots, cheese, chips (a little too much), pasta, milk and orange juice, cookies, and his all-time favorite thing to eat currently - fruit snacks. He's not big on meat AT ALL. Usually we have to make him eat a couple of bites of his meat. We've kind of given up trying to get him to eat lots at every meal... I guess it gets to the point that you just figure they won't go hungry!

8. I think he obeys better than most kids his age. He will sit in time-out as long as you leave him there (hasn't gotten up without permission in AGES... and even then, maybe three or four times ever), will go to his room or to time-out when I tell him to now (I don't have to "put him" in time-out anymore). He also does "room time" now (modified from "blanket time" that we used to do). He does this about 45 minutes a day... he's told to play in his room while mommy showers or cleans up or whatever. He's to play by himself and stay in his room, and he does! If he doesn't listen or do what he's told, after a short time-out he almost always fixes his behavior. He also does not get out of his bed without permission at bedtime or naptime (so thankful for this not being an issue!) He's fairly easy to take most places... I don't have any issues taking him to the grocery store or doctor or to run errands or go out to eat. He will get antsy after a while, but does not typically act up :)

9. His favorite things: trains, playing outside, hotwheels, tools, trucks, tractors, airplanes, space and rockets (he's still talking about how he's going to be an astronaut!), movies, little people, superheros, his bike, play-doh, letters, swimming, sand, bathtime (he'll take more than one a day if we let him!), reading books, the park, church, "new friends", and the library. There isn't one particular thing that I'd say he's "hooked on"... he continues to have many interests.

10. He is not a huge risk taker. He's just recently started experimenting more at playgrounds (he's still not usually big on slides, but will do them) and has done a couple of ladders. He is timid when it comes to trying new things (he doesn't just jump right in!) Example: swimming... he was fine with playing in the very shallow part, but it took some time and gentle coaxing to get him to go out in the deep end with help. He does things in his own time, not when you try to convince him or force him to do new things. Usually if we make a big deal and try to make him do something, he just gets stubborn! We've found that it's best to let it go and try again later :)

We love our little boy so so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment